Maltby Genealogy

American Lineage

IV.125. Captain Jonathan Maltbie, b. Dec. 17, 1744, at Stamford, Conn. (Jonathan 3, Jonathan 2, Wm.1). He mar. Oct. 23, 1768, Elizabeth Allen, dau. of David and Sarah (Gold) Allen. They were mar. at Fairfield. (Conn. Marriages).

Capt. Jonathan Maltbie served his Country as First Lieutenant of the Connecticut Cruiser "Trumbull," during the Revolutionary War, and at the time of his death, he was in command of the "Argus," a cutter in the service of the United States for the protection of the revenue.

His commission as Lieut. is dated "Oct. 12, 1776," and signed by John Hancock. His commission as Captain, is dated "March 21, 1791," (Records of Connecticut Men in the Rev. War.)

"1778. Frigate 'Trumbull.' Captain Dudley Saltonstall, Command- er, was launched."

Jonathan Maltby, 1st Lieutenant, Capt. J. Nicholson of Pennsylvan- ia, afterwards Capt. Saltonstall being transferred to "Warren."

"Trumbull captured off the Deleware Cape by British Ship "Iris" and "General Monk." After a galant resistance of more than one hour during which she was completely dismantled and lost five killed and eleven wounded." (Navy of the United States, by Lieut. Emmons, p.3).

For the following sketch of the life of Captain Jonathan Maltbie, we are indebted to Miss Emily A. Lynes of Norwalk, Conn.

"My great grandfather, Jonathan Maltbie, was the only child of Jonathan, Jr. and Abigail (Holmes) Maltbie, born at Stamford, Conn., Dec. 17, 1744. He moved to Fairfield, Conn., and married Elizabeth the daughter of David and Sarah (Gold) Allen, Oct. 23, 1768. He was a sea captain in the East India trade and lived in one of the histor- ical homes given in the "History of Fairfield County" as "Colonial No. 4." This house was built in 1766 by Isaac Tucker who sold it to Capt. Maltbie who owned it and occupied it during Revolutionary times, and was one of the few houses left standing at the burning of Fairfield.

Mr. Henry Rowland, a grandson, in writing down reminisences, states that: "Grandfather Maltbie's house was reserved for a cook house. After the conflagration the inhabitants returned--when the British had gone aboard their ships. Grandfather Maltbie on returning to his house, found all their valuable china scooped off the shelves on the floor and broken into pieces and everything upside down. In the kitch- en in the fireplace hung a large brass kettle filled with their hams, but they dare not eat them, fearing they were poisoned--so they start- ed anew with provisions."

Capt. Maltbie's son, William (5) inherited this place and sold it to Justice Hobart. The house is still standing today (1909) in good condition.

Jonathan Maltbie was 1st Lieutenant of the "Trumbull," one of the first cruisers built fot the Continental Navy.

She went into service about April 1780, carrying 28 guns, and her crew numbered 200. Her first engagement under Capt. Nicholson, occured June 2nd of the same year; with the "Watt," an English letter- of-marque, under Capt. Colehart. She carried 34 guns and 250 men. The "Watt" was a private vessel with a cargo of great value and was especially equipped to fight her way.

This was the first action of any moment, that occurred in 1780,